. . . Five little words I have dreaded hearing (all too often) over the past year and a half. Our sweet Luke is one busy boy. Very fun, but very destructive! My grandma joked that we should write a children's book titled, "Come see what Lukie did!" to record his antics. The lastest addition to our story, is our carpeted stairs . . . 11 of them, with lovely black sharpie artwork! Even a call to the carpet cleaners couldn't remedy this situation.
I'm not even going to mention the flooded bathroom two days before this . . . when the sink was plugged and left on, carpet into the bedroom soaked. O.K., I guess I DID just mention it. It's always something with this boy!
Anyway, I found a very effective TIME OUT . . . buckled into his carseat, in the van, in the garage. He hates it -- but it keeps him out of trouble while I try to clean up the mess he just made. And when he's not minding, all I have to do is ask, "Do you want a carseat timeout?" and he says, "sorry Mama," and immediately obeys! It's great! I know it may sound cruel, but don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes . . . or at least, down my stairs. ;)
9 comments:
Oh dear! I'm so sorry about your stairs. That Lukie is quick with coming up with his next attack. I'm glad you found the perfect "time out" spot to keep him out of mischief (for a second at least)!
I am so sorry! I didn't realize it was such a big drawing on each step! I think I will write the book! We have got to document his life because (hopefully) he will soon grow out of this destructive stage! And we'd have to end each story with one of the sweet things he does and says because he really can melt your heart with his smile and hugs!
~mom
Oh Nooo!! I don't even know what I'd do!! I can kind of relate tho...Porter is destructive too...he colored on our couch with a sharpie, colored on our new bed spread (from Pottery Barn no less!) with a pen (which didn't wash out), broke the heads off of a few of Chloes dolls, and also broke some of her princess crowns (then there's the normal everyday stuff like tearing up books, dumping out toy baskets etc)...Ohhh these boys!! It's a good thing they're fun too, huh?
PS I think the book is a great idea!! I love the title too :)
lukie!!!
ugh! griff is OUR luke, although i don't know if it's ever gotten that bad. i'm kind of scared. i figure i can look at luke to see what griff will be doing in a year or so.
sorry about your carpet. : ( you've got a good time out system going for you though!
Your mom talked about little Lukie today in Sacrament meeting! So far I have been fortunate that my first 2 kids are pretty mild mannered and have never been the type to get into things. With Will, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my hands full! Something about him just makes me think that his nature is different than the others. I'm sure I will be posting things like this in months and years to come. Sorry about your stairs, that really is a bummer. I do not think the carseat time out is bad whatsoever! Whatever you have to do that works, right?!?
I wouldn't judge you at all. I think you are a genius to come up with the carseat timeout. That really stinks about your stairs. What did you get it out with?- for future reference!:)
Aaahh! You poor little mama! That little boy is just way too cute to be that destructive!
Thanks for all the sympathy everybody!!
Kari, just so you know, I didn't find ANYTHING to get permanent marker out of carpet!!! I tried hairspray, rubbing alchol, and Melaleuca sol-u-mel. Finally, I broke down and called a professional carpet cleaner . . . and fifty dollars later -- marker still there. He gave me the card of a man who can cut out the bad spots and patch it with remnants that we have. Very encouraging. Needless to say, I don't think we've seen the end of what Luke can do, OR the beginning of what Claire might do, so the lovely stained carpet will be staying!
o man! that stinks! but I like your time out strategy. haha.
Post a Comment