In an effort to preserve our kids' East Texas "country roots," we got a fishing boat (just a bare bones 18' fishing boat) to enjoy the outdoors on the water, soak in the sunshine, catch some fish (we miss those fish fries, courtesy of the Wrights), and spend some quality family/friend time away from all the hustle and bustle of daily life . . .
Oh, AND we got a steer. I know. "WHAT?"
THE BOAT:
The "Red Neck Yacht Club"
I love this picture!!
Liam and Sadie -- they were BEGGING to jump in and swim -- we're waiting till the water gets a little warmer.
See . . . Claire DOES wear a life jacket! (But she doesnt usually look this happy about it :)
AND NOW FOR THE STEER: 
We have some friends who raise steers, to show, and then sell . . . and I guess they convinced us that it would be kind of cool for us to do it too! So we bought a steer, Quinn could tell you what kind -- I can't. He's a 600 lb. baby. Liam is raising him and keeping him in the FFA barn here in town. He will show his steer at our county fair, and then probably go to San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Houston to show there as well. Our friends that introduced us to this have two boys that raise steers . . . their 5th grader has already earned enough money to cover the cost of his mission and pay for his first year of college! He was "Grand Champion" last year. Now, we don't forsee us having that kind of success right out of the box, but what a great opportunity for Liam to learn to work hard, serve an animal, and MAYBE even earn some money for his future. AND, the whole family is pitching in -well, I just kind of stand around and hold Claire and take pictures, BUT all of our boys have jobs and work right along side their dad.
This little calf is in the stall across from ours
Here's Liam (trying to) lead his steer . . . practice, practice, practice! (right?)
10 comments:
Awesome! That is so fun that you have a fishing boat! Brady is VERY jealous :) Maybe when we come out you guys could take us out??
I love all the pics of the boys with the steer! What a great way for Liam to learn responsibility and hard work! Cute video :)
That is so much fun. All of it. What a good idea with the steer, I would definitely enjoy hearing more about how that all works. I have been wondering lately about having a cow to raise and then slaughter, but selling is probably just as productive. You guys will have to tell us more about it sometime.
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! That's gonna be so fun for all the kids to go fishin' on the boat with Dad and some friends! I have lots of memoreis growing up of fishin' with my grandpa.
I LOVE the steer! That's a great way to learn some responsibility and "serve" an animal like you said! Great idea! AND it's so Texas-which I love ;) I'm excited to hear more about it as he grows.
You guys have been busy! I LOVE the fishing boat! What did you name the steer? Growing up we had horses, cows, and sheep. I can still remember feeding the cows in the snow, and breaking the ice in the trough. I just had to laugh at the video of Liam leading the steer. It is a big animal!
how neat to have a fishin boat now! that will be lots of fun and good memories for you guys!! also, how awesome for you guys to get a steer! that is fabulous! a lot of kids out in college station also raise them and they love it. what a great way to teach everyone a little bit about responsiblity.... good luck with it all, can't wait to hear more about it!
I love that Quinn still holds on to the East TX part of him! The boat and the steer will make for some great family memories :) I hope we get to ride on it (the fishing boat NOT the steer:) with you guys sometime and get to see the steer too. Josh thinks that's really cool!
I love all these pictures! Looks like the boat has all ready logged a lot of family and friend fun time! I also love the picture of the "feet" and the one of you and all the kids. I love the cow! I'm proud of all four boys and their hard work and love (especially Liam and Quinn). I look forward to my turn on the boat!
Love you all,
mom
Hey cute girl, I saw you on Kari Christensen's blog. . . I think you should come up to Oregon to visit your sis-in-law Kelly (she lives 20 min. from me), talk Kari into coming and the 4 of us can go have a girl's weekend. . . re-live our glory days at BYU, hu? Damian and I are going to Texas in the fall to see Kendall Larsen, who apparently had a crush on you (who didn't) and Jim Watkins and Hal Shields are coming, too.
Ooops, I didn't sign my comment. . .This is Sarah Goold Idiart, your long lost friend. xoxox
wow! what fun stuff. i somehow missed this post. dad and sarah were over here at my house today and told me about the steer. i thought dad was joking at first. that's so cool! what a great way to teach the kids to be responsible and hard working adults. and to earn some money too!
we miss you. wish more of the fam could have come out for josh's wedding. love you!
Post a Comment