Thursday, January 8, 2009

my boy

I'm sure that every parent experiences this, but I just had to share My experience . . .

Liam has been swimming competetively since he was 6 years old, and he has developed a real talent. I remember watching him swim in his first race . . . my eyes filled with tears and I thought my heart would explode through my chest -- I was so proud! (If you are a parent and havn't yet experienced this -- get ready, cause YOU WILL!!) A totally emotional and physical reaction!




As time went on and he progressed, I recall my father in law (a swimmer himself) also be moved to tears as he watched his grandson swim the IM (Individual Medley). Liam was so graceful in the water -- beautiful to watch.


Through the years we've watched Liam compete in many sports, and we've always been proud. But to see your child find his gift . . . well, it's an indescribable experience. Liam has earned many awards through the years for swimming, but with our recent move to the city, we knew he was a fish entering different waters -- competition would be real.

Last night we attended try outs for a nationally competitive swim team in the north Dallas area. We got there early -- he warmed up -- they called his name -- and he swam. He blew them away. They called me over and said that they were giving him immediate placement on an advanced team -- something they hadn't seen happen, straight from tryouts, before. They said they saw great potential in him!

Now I don't know what the future holds for Liam, I don't how long he will continue to swim. But I have really enjoyed watching MY BOY develop a talent.



(This is an old race--just a fun summer one -25 yd. breastroke-. Liam-1st; Truman (friend/teammate)-2nd)
For your listening pleasure . . . a crazy mama yelling the same thing over and over, and a little East Texas twang at the end! Enjoy!

14 comments:

Carrie said...

that's so cool! good job liam!! i loved watching him race in the video, too. i've never actually seen him in action.

i can't wait to see what activity it will be for MY boys, that will bring me to tears. i've already felt that a little, though, like when they are babies and each new thing they do (walking, talking, dancing, etc) makes you SO proud and happy, and you're so amazed that such a little thing could be SO smart.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I can attest to those feelings, not only with my own kids (soccer, drill, cheering, volleyball, plays, so many memorable moments), but also with Liam! I was blown away the first time I saw him - and when I went to yell his name it was just a big lump in my throat and tears in my eyes! I agree with Carrie, I am always so amazed by the growth and talents of these amazing miracles we call our kids and grandkids!
You are awesome, Liam, and we love you!
love,
grammy/mom

ryan and danielle said...

how neat! i will say that as a kid, and being an athlete it is also SOO very cool to hear your parents cheer you on, so keep cheering momma! haha! i can't wait to have kiddos and see what talents they will be blessed with. Conrgrats to liam with all of his accomplishments! so cool!!

Eric said...

That's awesome! I got tears in my eyes just reading about it. I hope we get to see him swim in person one day. Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm so excited for him because I know he really enjoys swimming, and it feels good to be validated!

caroline said...

Way to go Liam!!! We can't wait to see what the future holds for our talented nephew/ cousin! I hope that we get to see him swim soon (especially since you guys are a little closer now:) and cheer him on too!!

taryn said...

I'm so glad you posted this because I've never gotten to see Liam swim! At least now I can watch the video, which I've already watched twice :) This was such a sweet post! I am also proud of Liam! That is so awesome that he is on the advanced team when I'm sure the competition was a lot bigger there than before! Love you guys!

Great swim boys :)

Kate said...

That is so awesome!!!!! I love you Liam and am so proud of you.

Liz said...

Wow....what a great talent and such a sweet tribute to him. You may have the next Michael Phelps on your hands! What a cute kid.

AmyJ said...

Love that twang!! Great job, Liam!! Advanced team?!? That's awesome! What a sweet Mom to cheer him on like that and do such a sweet post about such a talented boy!!

Kristi said...

This post made me cry...I know I feel like that every single time I watch Chandler play soccer. Watching your kids doing something that they love but are really good at is the best! I hope Liam goes on to be the next Michael Phelps! ;) That is WAY cool that he was placed on the advanced team, We want to come and watch him sometime! Compared to when you guys lived in Longview, we practically live in the neighborhood now ;)

youreprettytoo said...

It is fun to see Quinn's competitiveness and talent come out in his kids. Although that is not to take away from Liam's own talents! That is awesome. Also I loved hearing you yell KJ!

Stacey said...

I think I would enjoy watching Quinn see Liam swim as much as the actual swimmer himself! I'm sure both provide a lot of entertainment... It must be SO awesome when your child find something that they love and excel at :)

Devon said...

That is so awesome, Kjirsten! I had no idea he was a swimmer!

Amy Asay Keele said...

Kjirst!! This is so. much. fun! Awhh, I love your cute family and MISS you guys! What an awesome boy your Liam is. And all your cuties. How much fun you guys must be having! We don't have a blog (Ra does! www.durlingfamily.blogspot.com) but you can email me if you have any free moments amyasay@gmail.com. Thanks for sharing your life on your blog--so fun to read! Love you, Kjirst!