Yesterday was the first day of school -- 2010/2011. Caleb is in the first grade, and Liam is in the 6th grade . . . aka - JUNIOR HIGH!! (lockers, 6 classes, 6 teachers, the bus, social drama, etc.)
How did this happen? My little baby is officially a "tween-ager". He looked so nervous on our way to school . . . but when he got out of the car - he didn't even look back. Sadly parents are to KEEP OUT of middle school, so no walking him to class or pictures at his desk. :( It's a parent-free zone -- only "cool" big kids aloud. But it didn't stop me from being the mom who hung out of the car window with the video camera (Quinn was driving). Here he goes!
Caleb was nervous too . . . we think. . . he gets REALLY quiet when he's nervous. Quinn and I walked him to school and he stayed about 5 feet behind us the whole way -- even with every attempt on our part to slow down, or tell him to speed up, we even stopped and waited several times. Not a peep came from him as we entered the classroom . . . not even a smile, well at least not until his friend Mason loosened him up. It sure was good to finally see that smile . . . it does a mama's heart good. (sigh of relief)
THE REPORTS:
Caleb: Teacher was nice, day was kind of boring, lots of talking. Was nice to a kid named Santiago who didn't have any friends and couldn't open his locker (Made us proud). He liked lunch -- said that, "EVERYONE" had notes on their napkins from their parents (made him feel happy about the note from his own mom). After school, Quinn and I walked to meet him (he's a "walker"), but he didn't seem so excited about that (maybe because of the video camera) . . . he was looking forward to walking home by himself -- since he IS a first-grader (last year he walked home with Liam and the Decker kids). Tomorrow he'll start riding his bike to and from school, with our neighbor boys.
Liam: Rode the bus home. (I met him out on the sidewalk). He said he felt VERY relieved . . . there's plenty of time between each class, he LOVES his ELAR (English, Language Arts, and Reading) teacher -- used to be a hippy and is really cool, and calm. LOVED his band teacher (playing the trumpet) -- he says he's hilarious and he has never laughed so hard. His history teacher is a coach and used to play pro-baseball. His science teacher is "fine", and his math teacher is "a little scary -- nice, but not sweet". Liked all the choices of things to eat at lunch . . . and that you can use your cell phones and ipods. Locker access went great . . . several kids even thought he was a seventh grader and asked him for help with their lockers!! All in all, it was a great first day . . . aaahhhhh . . . relief.
This morning Liam decided to ride the bus. I wanted to walk him to the bus stop, but he kindly said, "Mom, no offense, but that's kind of embarrassing." I just said, "Really?", and grabbed my sunglasses. He said, "you're going to come anyway aren't you?" And I said, "YUP!" But I didn't totally embarrass him, I walked just until I could see others waiting, and then gave him a good 'ol "side hug" (totally not embarrassing). And then I turned back for home, and let him be a "big kid". (sniff, sniff)
Sure wish I had some pictures to document the first day of school . . . but alas, we're having camera woes. Thank goodness for the good 'ol "memory", which is where this day will have to live . . . (and on video tape.)
7 comments:
So cute! I can just see you hanging out the window with the video camera...
Wow~your kids give good reports to mom! I just get little smiles and everything was "good". Except from Savannah of course. Today was their first day and that was all I got from the boys:) I can't believe Liam is in jr. high. how did that happen?!
Woah, I didn't realize Liam was in Jr High!!! That is so funny that you video taped him, and went right ahead and walked him to the bus stop. I can just hear Liam saying "no offense..." haha! Glad that it went well! Love you guys!
I can't believe we have boys that old. Finn is in 6th grade too but luckily it is still in elementary school here in Utah. But I'm already getting the "I'm too cool fot this" attitude. Before you know it they will be freshmen in college. Although unless Liam goes to the U I dont think they will be able to meet each other like we did that year of our lives.!
aww! they're so old. i kind of got teary-eyed through some of that. i love the dialogue with big tween, liam (no offense mom. . . .). and how little caleb got so quiet. what a sweet boy to help another kid out. that IS a proud mommy moment. you love to know that your kid is THAT kid. love you kjirst! we miss you guys here in park city!
That is crazy! Time flies. I am totally impressed with the amount of info you get from your kids, you must ask really good questions.
Glad things are off to a good start!
Oh man! What a good mom to back off when you saw the other kids so he wouldn't be too embarrassed. So glad to hear the first day went well. That will make it easier to get them to go everyday!
Post a Comment